Sunday, January 30, 2011

I feel like a true DC resident.

It occurred to me as I was thinking about this that I've actually done and experienced lots of things that are probably necessary to be a resident. I've ridden the metro a zillion times, including once when the giant escalator of death in Tenleytown broke and we had to walk the rest of the way up. I've experienced a rally and been angry at the tourists not knowing how to cross streets/walk down sidewalks/ride escalators/use the metro. I at least attempted to hear a speaker at Busboys and Poets. I regularly eat at Five Guys. I can navigate a roundabout (most of the time). I've seen most of the monuments.

And now I've experienced a serious snow, shoveled off cars the next day, and eaten a Georgetown Cupcake.

Here's the snow from Wednesday night out our back window Thursday morning:


The final verdict was that it was about 8 inches. For some of my yankee friends this wasn't very much, but for this Texas girl it was absolutely insane. I loved it.


Then on Friday Jeff and I were supposed to go get our DC licenses, but since it was still snowing Jeff opted out of driving. So I went out shopping for the afternoon with a couple of friends, and we got Georgetown Cupcakes!


If you don't know, Georgetown Cupcakes is basically a DC landmark and I was told that they were worth the huge lines. Oh my gosh, were they. The one on the left was a Strawberry Champagne that I brought home for Jeff, mine on the right was Chocolate Ganache. I can't speak for his, but mine was heavenly. Oh. So good. Now I want cupcakes again.

I know there are still more things to do before I can really feel like a resident, like experience the cherry blossoms or Embassy Week or see the President (or, you know, get my DC license), but I do feel much more at home here than I did a few months ago. For 5 months here, I think I'm doing pretty well.

No comments:

Post a Comment